If you own sofas that use different types of upholstery, then cleaning can be a problem as different types of upholstery require different cleaning method. Here are the various cleaning methods to use depending on the upholstery of the sofa.
1) Fabric Upholstery
• Whatever type of fabric used, whether rayon or microsuede, begin by vacuuming the surface thoroughly. This prevents dust from going deep into the upholstery while cleaning.
• If there is any soil or dirt accumulation in the sofa, scrap it out with a blunt knife.
• Once vacuumed you can spray an upholstery cleaner on the sofa. But before spraying, always remember to spot test the fabric
• Using a dry microfiber cloth in white color, gently rub the cleaning solution on the sofa. Make sure that you use only white or any light color cloth for cleaning as dark color clothes tend to bleed.
• For cleaning stains, blot the area with vinegar or alcohol till the stain disappears.
Vacuuming prevents dust from going deep into the upholstery.
2) Leather Upholstery
• Unlike fabric furniture, the problem with leather furniture is that even a mild amount of moisture can result in mildew formation. Hence, always try to keep the upholstery dry.
• Vacuum the leather sofa regularly to reduce the instance of dust building up.
• Clean the sofa with a leather sofa cleaner or white vinegar using a white microfiber cloth.
• For stains, spray the cleaning solution or white vinegar and let it sit for some time. Blot the area dry with a microfiber cloth and dry using a hairdryer.
3) Synthetic Leather Upholstery
• Synthetic leather is much easier to clean when compared to leather upholstery.
• Liquid dish soap is all that is required to clean synthetic leather upholstery.
• Add a few drops of liquid dish soap in a bowl of water. Take a clean cloth, dip it in the solution and clean the sofa all over.
• For stains, use nail polish remover to clean the sofa.
All you need to clean synthetic leather is liquid dish soap.
Whatever the type of upholstery, the sofa should be cleaned once a week to keep it neat and clean. In case of a stubborn stain, if you are not able to remove the same using any of the above methods, then you can seek the help of professional cleaners.